An eco-industrial park involves a network of firms and organizations, working together to improve their environmental and economic performance. Companies share each other’s resources and use their “leftover” products.
For example, extra energy from the 1500MW coal fired power plant is used for:
- Heating 3500 local homes.
- Also heats a fish farm whose sludge is sold as fertilizer.
- Steam from the power plant to sold to pharmaceutical and enzyme manufacturers.
- Sulfide dioxide scrubber is sold to a wallboard manufacturers, reducing mining.
- Fly ash and clinker are used to produce cement.